12 December, 2008

The Orwell & Huxley Home Owners Association, Inc.

Read this. The whole thing.

And then tell me that the first thoughts going through your head did not involve either Brave New World or 1984.

Then again, knowing some of my readers, they would probably prefer a planned absolute economic-free-market/social-authoritarian environment. I, however, would be quickly running the other direction while screaming about Big Brother-ism and corporate arcologies and obscure Phillip K. Dick quotations.

If this really is the future of urban planning, then leave me the heck out of it. I'll take my sprawling, allegedly obsolete cities any day of the week, just as long as my cat can still sleep on my bed and I can still stay up well past 11 in the evening without any loss of services.

Just remember, folks. It is not whether or not someone can take your freedom away from you, but whether someone can get you to gladly volunteer to surrender your freedom to them. And in that line, all authoritarians, whether left or right, will always be easy to identify.

[Turn Signal: Gibson]

4 comments:

thesleepinglotus said...

I have no clue how else to get a hold of you, I'm holding out hope that maybe Munis did. I do believe you got hacked again, the person was on and off Daerri and Amagaim. I know that the bank in tattered was cleaned out, but no clue about blackmoon. I put in a ticket, in the hopes that we could prevent them from deleting your toons, but it looks like the lovely gm system has failed as Daerri is now and unknown. :( I hope this finds you at least well, and that you can get all your stuff back.

Grey

And feel free to delete this after you've read it.

Fr. Steve said...

"In the far distant future, perhaps 100 to 150 million years from now when 90% of the people in the U.S. are living in Victory Cities..."

I don't think Orville has much of a background in anthropology. He is a delightfully creative fellow though.

Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be much of a marketeer either.

Off Colfax said...

Thanks, Grey. I already knew about the hacking issue. I got plenty of mails from Blizzard's automated system about my password being reset, as well as a Final Warning from our friendly GMs.

Maybe I'm going to have to shell out for the Authenticator after all.

thesleepinglotus said...

We tried to stop it when it was happening but it took the freaking gm's eighty billion hours to answer our ticket.

They need to put the authenticators back in stock... assholes.