14 March, 2007

Truer Words Have Never Been Spoken Written

From Megan McArdle, pulling guestblogger duties over at the Insta-place:
Starbucks makes it even worse by overcooking their espresso beans. Anyone drinking burned Starbucks on the assumption that the smoky flavour must mean it carries a real kick--not so, not so. Char grilling is for steaks, not Arabica beans.
I have long held that Starbucks has some of the worst drip coffee on the planet, solely due to the ultra-heavy roasting their beans get. (However, there is a new king of truly awful coffee: Boyds Coffee's Hi-Rev. Absolutely nasty. Even I can't drink the stuff.) And this is precisely the reason. If I wanted something burned to the point of being unrecognizable, I'd order my steak well done.

And seeing as how I like my meat cooked to medium rare, that doesn't happen all that often.

To me, burned tastes bad. It's that simple. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sees things this way. So, yet again, I will continue to only order a venti no-water chai from my neighborhood Starbucks. For actual coffee-based drinks, I'll keep going to Caribou and Peaberry.

No comments: